DNA testing has opened up avenues of research that previous generations of genealogists didn’t even dream of. Although still a young field, DNA testing for genealogy is developing fast.
Newcomers to DNA testing often find it confusing, even if they are old hands at traditional family history research.
There are many things to think about:
- Which test type? Y chromosome, mitochondrial DNA, or autosomal DNA? STR or SNP?
- Which testing company?
- Do you want a health report?
- Do you want to find cousins?
- Do you want to break down a brick wall?
- Will you need to pay an ongoing subscription?
- Can you transfer your results to another company’s database?
- What else can you do with your results?
The testing companies are constantly updating and improving their offerings. Each company has pros and cons, and these change over time. Which test, test company and research strategy will be best for you will depend on your personal research goals, budget and personal preferences.
I can advise on which test(s) to take to help achieve your goals.
I can also help you to understand your test results and advise you on how to get the most from them.
If you need help with DNA testing please email me at email@example.com. I am always happy to have a preliminary discussion free of chrage. If you require more in depth analysis I will provide you with a no-obligation quotation for the work.